While correcting some texts in French, I came across the following problem. One person has written the following sentence:

une déviation est prévue via le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren

while the other one has translated that same sentence as

une déviation via le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren est prévue.

The word group with "via" is in a different place. Both sentences sound fine to me but I'm not sure if my gut feeling is correct or if there's a difference in nuance.

Thanks in advance!

2 Answers 2

There is a slight nuance, but it's ambiguous.

Une déviation via le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren est prévue.

This is the default statement, with no particular emphasis. However, it is awkward because the subject is very long (“Une déviation via le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren”). It would be better to use the active voice: “On a prévu une déviation via le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren” (or “on prévoit”, or a different subject, depending on the context).

Une déviation est prévue via le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren.

Ostensibly, a diversion is planned. And incidentally, this deviation will go via Ekeren. However, because putting the “via …” clause in the subject is awkward, this doesn't necessarily de-emphasise the via part.

To explicitly put emphasis on Ekeren, a possible turn of phrase would be

Le complexe de bretelles d'Ekeren est prévu comme déviation.

I would say the order is free here and doesn't introduce any (significant) nuance.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.