I was writing a brief assignment about me and my friend. I was using a reflexive verb with the subject noun "mon ami et je". Would this be treated as singular ("je") or plural ("nous")?

• Actually, "me and my friend ..." is incorrect in English too, even if used a lot. It should be "my friend and I ..." (or "I and my friend ...", although placing "my friend" first is more polite). And in that case, as already answered "I" is translated by "moi". Jul 21, 2022 at 0:35
  • @AlexisWilke: this is beside the point, but the way the OP uses "me and my friend" — "about me and my friend" — is perfectly correct in English. Jul 22, 2022 at 11:42
  • @PeterShor Yes, about my friend and I is an example of hypercorrection.
    – jlliagre
    Jul 22, 2022 at 16:22

1 Answer 1

You can't say Mon ami et je, that would be a grammatical mistake. Unlike in English where both my friend and I and my friend and me are competing and often used either as a subject or an object despite presciptivism that tells they should be specialized, French always use mon ami et moi whether it is subject or object. See this interesting paper about the English usage (found in this reply).

Mon ami et moi is then the only right form and the first person plural is expected:

Mon ami et moi arriverons demain. (no comma)
Mon ami et moi, nous arriverons demain. (comma)

More commonly:

Mon ami et moi, on arrive demain.

With a reflexive verb, as Luke commented:

Mon ami et moi nous sommes parlé. (rare)
Mon ami et moi, nous nous sommes parlé.

and again:

Mon ami et moi, on s'est parlé.

See also: Pronoms sujets : « elle et moi » ou « elle et je » ? and Use of nous when moi is used in the subject

• How would we use this with a reflexive verb? "Mon ami et moi nous <verb> <indirect object>"?
    – Someone
    Jul 20, 2022 at 15:43
  • @Someone While you could do that, I think it's more natural to repeat the subject pronoun as well. Mon ami et moi, nous (nous) sommes fait un petit déjeuner ensemble. Mon ami et moi, nous nous sommes parlé.
    – Luke Sawczak
    Jul 20, 2022 at 16:30
  • @Luke I guess you already know that but I want to make clear that there is never a comma between a subject and its verb so your example is Mon ami et moi(,) nous (nous) sommes [...]
    – jlliagre
    Jul 22, 2022 at 13:26
  • @jlliagre Pourtant je suis certain que je l'ai vu de temps à autre pour des raisons stylistiques ? C'est-à-dire pour marquer une pause ?
    – Luke Sawczak
    Jul 22, 2022 at 13:51
    @jlliagre Ah, j'avais mal compris -- le virgule que tu contestes est celui qui apparaîtrait quand il n'y a qu'un « nous ». Oui, certainement que celui-là serait erroné (tandis que l'autre servirait à introduire une forme d'apposition entre les deux énonciations du sujet).
    – Luke Sawczak
    Jul 23, 2022 at 0:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.