I keep getting the inverted form, used in questioning, mixed up.

I realize that to ask a question, one could just use "est-ce que" or alternatively to change one's tone of voice, like asking "Vous nous appelez?" which means, will you call us?

But what if I wanted to ask the question using the inversion? Does "Vous nous appelez" become:

Appelez-vous nous? or Appelez-nous vous?

Or, to use a slightly different question, with "quand" at the end (i.e. Vous nous appelez quand?), does it become:

Quand appelez-vous nous? or Quand appelez-nous vous?

Is there a logical explanation about the placement of these words that I can apply so I can reason about it instead of just memorizing them?

2 Answers 2

Vous nous appelez. > Nous appelez-vous ?

Vous nous appelez demain. > Quand nous appelez-vous ?

The basic rule: Invert the subject and the verb.

But when you do so, if there's an object pronoun, keep it with the verb.

Simple examples:

Tu lis. > Lis-tu ?

Tu le lis. > Le lis-tu ?

More complex:

Tu m'envoies un paquet demain. > Quand m'envoies-tu un paquet ?

Tu me l'envoies demain. > Quand me l'envoies-tu ?

I'll add "Quand est-ce que vous nous appelez ?" which sound more usual than "Quand vous appelez-nous ?"
    – XouDo
    Nov 22, 2022 at 8:10
    @Velo-p I think XouDo might be comparing the other two question types, adding est-ce que and pure intonation, but accidentally added a hyphen to the latter. (With the hyphen, Quand vous appelez-nous would be wrong, not just unnatural.) Either that or he does mean to compare est-ce que and inversion but misread me :)
    – Luke Sawczak
    Nov 22, 2022 at 11:31
    I guess XouDo wanted to write Quand nous appelez-vous? In real life, inversion is indeed avoided as much as possible. You would hear more Quand est-ce que vous nous appelez ? Vous nous appelez quand ? or even C'est quand que vous nous appelez ?, colloquial but very common.
    – jlliagre
    Nov 22, 2022 at 12:04
    Right. My impression is non native learners sometimes tend to overuse inversion compared to native.
    – jlliagre
    Nov 22, 2022 at 14:54
    "C'est quand que vous nous appelez ?, colloquial but very common." @jlliagre Oui et tac. Même dans les méthodes dites prescriptives de FLES on introduit et enseigne "c'est quand ton anniversaire ?" au lieu de "Quand est-ce ton anniversaire ?" Petit à petit pas à pas !
    – livresque
    Nov 23, 2022 at 4:51

There is no logical explanation, merely an established usage that you have to remember, just as in English when you have to place the auxiliary "do" before the subject ("When do you call them? - When does the mailman call them?").

In French, the complement precedes the verb if it is a pronoun, it follows the verb otherwise .

place du complément

rather formal, yet not too formal for current conversation

• Quand nous appelez-vous ? - Nous appelez-vous sur notre téléphone fixe ? - Nous appelez-vous ?
  • Appelez-vous vos voisins sur leur téléphone fixe ?
  • Quand l'appelez-vous ? - Quand les appelez-vous ?
  • Quand appelez-vous notre service après-vente ?
  • Quand appellerez-vous le mécanicien ? - Quand l'appellerez-vous ?

usual: with "est-ce que", the subject is placed as in the affirmative sentence, but the rule for the complement is the same.

• Quand est-ce que VOUS nous appelez ? - Est-ce que VOUS nous appelez sur notre téléphone fixe ? - Est-ce que VOUS nous appelez ?
  • Est-ce que VOUS appelez vos voisins sur leur téléphone fixe ?
  • Quand est-ce que VOUS l'appelez ? - Quand est-ce que VOUS les appelez ?
  • Quand est-ce que VOUS appelez notre service après-vente ?
  • Quand est-ce que VOUS appellerez le mécanicien ? - Quand est-ce que VOUS l'appellerez ?

Appelez-vous nous? or Appelez-nous vous?
Quand appelez-vous nous? or Quand appelez-nous vous?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.