I am having some trouble deciding where to put the object pronoun in constructions with more than one verb. As far as I can gather, when a modal verb (devoir, pouvoir, vouloir) is concerned, the pronoun always comes after the modal verb and before the main verb:

Pour pouvoir le faire, nous devons...

Tu devrais le casser... etc.

However, I have encountered sentences in which there is a dual verb construction, with non-modal auxiliary verbs such as faire, in which the object pronoun precedes both verbs. I saw on a grammar website that this is always the case with faire, but I was wondering if there is an underlying rule here, or at least a list of verbs where this applies (perhaps all dual verb constructions with non-modal verbs are like this?). Examples:

Il les fallait cacher... Ça vous la fera perdre... Pour les aller mettre sur sa tombe...

If you could refer me to a source where this is explained in detail, that would be appreciated as well. I have looked through multiple grammar books without finding a satisfactory explanation.

1 Answer 1

1. il les fallait faire, Il les fallait cacher, Pour les aller mettre sur sa tombe... : this is 19th century language that is not used any more.

2. Ça vous la fera perdre : this is modern day French ; the place of the pronoun is exceptional for two verbs (laisser, faire).

(JM Kalmbach) Exceptions

La règle concernant la place des pro­noms faibles devant un infinitif dépen­dant d’un au­tre ver­be n’a que peu d’ex­cep­tions :

a. […]

b.Faire + in­fi­ni­tif, laisser + in­fi­ni­tif: le pro­nom se place devant le ver­be prin­ci­pal faire ou laisser :

• Il a laissé tomber le vase. → Il l’a laissé tomber.
• Je lui ai fait apprendre le texte par cœur. → Je le lui ai fait apprendre par cœur.
• Je laisse les enfants jouer seuls. → Je les laisse jouer seuls.
• Il faut laisser le produit agir. → Il faut le laisser agir.
• Pour la réception, elle compte se faire faire une nouvelle robe chez une cou­tu­riè­re. → Elle compte s’en faire faire une chez une cou­tu­riè­re.

• Merci beaucoup! The quotes with falloir and aller are indeed from Stendhal (Le rouge et le noir); one of my methods (and motivations) for improving my French is to read classic works, but this looks like one of the instances where they can cause confusion. I appreciate the reference.
    – Smert
    Jan 29, 2023 at 17:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.