Sorry, if this is completely off topic:

I'm looking to the resources to improve my French at B1 - B2 level. Would prefer to concentrate on comprehension and speaking as I need to communicate with native speakers.

I took Pimsleur French 3 - 5, which was good, the vocabulary they drill you on is rather limited. What would be the best sources you could recommend for a faster progress?

1 Answer 1

At B1-B2 level one should start switching from pedagogical texts to real books, films, songs, etc. Admittedly, these can be of varying level of difficulty, so I give below a few suggestions that worked for me.

• Adapted texts, like "Alex Leroc" series. These are readable, but have disadvantages: a) not always interesting, and b) existing in limited quantities.
  • Children books - these may be tricky, as, despite simple grammar, they may include a lot of non-trivial vocabulary specific to children. Petit Nicolas is a time-honored classic. So is Le Petit Prince (though I couldn't struggle through it as an adult.) So is Harry Potter series.
  • "Junk literature" - like detective novels ("polars") in French, particularly those translated from other languages (and hence somewhat simpler ) Millenium is an excellent read, for example.
  • TV series, particularly the highly repetitive ones, like Hélène et les garçons.
  • Disney animated films (which are dubbed in French, usually with high quality translations of texts and songs.
  • Eric Rohmer films, and generally nouvelle vague films - I was fortunate to be introduced to them by my French teacher. The accents might be a bit hard though

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.