Here are a couple of sentences which seem to break a number of rules of grammar:

Mes amis en sont-ils notifiés ?
Tous les amis en sont les invités d'honneur ?

No textbook mentions that EN can be used as a subject, but in the above sentences taken from online and printed sources it looks like one. So, I would like to know if the abovementioned sentences are correct and when EN can be used to repeat the subject.

Thank you in advance for providing the answer to the question.

• The sentences are completely correct. En is not subject, but complement of the verb.
    – Frank
    Jun 10, 2023 at 19:30
    Well, there is a mistake. It should be notifiés. Jun 12, 2023 at 7:03

1 Answer 1

These sentences are completely correct. En is not subject, but complement of the verb.

In Mes amis en sont-ils notifiés?, en answers: de quoi mes amis sont-ils notifiés?, and stands in for the object of the notification, which should be found from the context.

Similarly for Tous les amis en sont les invités d'honneur?, en answers: de quoi les amis sont-ils les invités d'honneur?, and en stands in for some event that should be found in the context.

• Hello, Frank! And very many thanks for your comment!!! You've been very helpful.
    – Val
    Jun 10, 2023 at 19:54
  • I'd rather say the second sentence answers to De quoi les amis sont-ils les invités d'honneur ?
    – jlliagre
    Jun 12, 2023 at 22:15
  • @jlliagre Sounds reasonable. Should I change my answer?
    – Frank
    Jun 13, 2023 at 14:51
  • That would be my choice.
    – jlliagre
    Jun 13, 2023 at 15:53
    @jlliagre Done. Thanks!
    – Frank
    Jun 13, 2023 at 16:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.