I saw the following phrase in a duolingo "story"

Vous pouvez le prendre en photo pour moi ?

I was quite sure that this should be 'lui', as an indirect object, rather than le.

Am I wrong? Are le/lui not as analogous to Portuguese (ele/para ele) as I thought?

Le is the direct object or prendre en photo (and not indirect).
    – None
    Jul 14, 2023 at 16:48
    You need to look up "prendre quelqu'un en photo". There is no indirect object. And I would not confuse this by asking about Portuguese. The direct object in Portuguese is a, o, as, os and lhe. Also, Iberian Port. and Braz. Pt. are quite different as regards objects.
    – Lambie
    Jul 14, 2023 at 17:56
  • Pode fotografá-lo para mim?
    – jlliagre
    Jul 15, 2023 at 0:47

2 Answers 2

The correct expression is indeed

Vous pouvez le prendre en photo pour moi ?

To mean: Can you take a picture of him for me?.

As @None says, the French le corresponds to the English him here. The sentence Vous pouvez lui prendre en photo pour moi is not correct and not heard or read, as far as I know.

Duolingo is correct here.

Vous pouvez le prendre en photo pour moi ? (Can you take a picture of him for me?)

Let's compare this to a similar sentence with "lui":

Vous pouvez lui dire de s'avancer? (Can you tell him to move forward?)

Let's say we are talking about a guy named Adrien. The first sentence is equivalent to:

Vous pouvez prendre Adrien en photo pour moi?

While the second is:

Vous pouvez dire à Adrien de s'avancer?

You can notice how in French an indirect object implies a preposition of some kind (here it's "à"). In the first sentence Adrien is indeed a direct object since he is the thing that is taken into picture.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.