I'm working on learning French and looked up the word for sherbet. Google said sorbet. In English, sorbet(frozen fruit and sugar) is completely different than sherbet (frozen fruit and milk / dairy). Food network explanation

Talking to a few friends that are fluent in French was unhelpful as they were unfamiliar with what sherbet is. Googling around was unhelpful as the internet gave examples that they mean they same thing, (when they absolutely do not) or why English often pronounces it sherbert in English when there's no R in the word.

I turn to you wise members of French Stack Exchange and hope you can clarify whether Google is confused, English is doing weird things again when taking words from other languages, or French really does use sorbet to refer to both foods.

  • 2
    Have you tried an English-French dictionary? Sherbet is mostly not a thing in Europe but you will still find explicit translations with a very small amount of research. Oct 11, 2023 at 7:01
  • 2
    1- Your link doesn't work - at least on my computer, here's Sherbet on Wikipedia (no French page), the French page of wiktionary gives sherbet, no translation just an explanation of what it is. I could find only one recipe for sherbet in French (commercial website). "Sherbet" is "sherbet" in French, it is a US import, like "cheesecake" (we call it cheesecake).
    – None
    Oct 11, 2023 at 7:25
  • 1
    Sorbet lacté" is an oxymoron, but It can be found in many French recipes.
    – Graffito
    Oct 11, 2023 at 12:04
  • 1
    Well according to my Visual French English Bilingual Dictionary I forgot I had, it too has sherbet being translated to sorbet; which leads me back to my original issue. In English, sorbet and sherbet refer to completely different foods. Everything I've found so far says French uses the same word for both foods, which would lead to misunderstandings and be "wrong". @None 's answer of "There is no word, just use the English word", is fine. I was trying to verify / dig deeper to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding something since Google and other websites are seemingly mistranslating it.
    – Nick
    Oct 11, 2023 at 14:30
  • 1
    @Nick: look at the Wiktionnaire entry for sherbet. The definition is (États-Unis) Sorbet comprenant un peu de lait. and it has a "Note": Aux États-Unis, le sherbet contient un peu de lait tandis que le sorbet n’en contient pas. If you really want to distinguish sherbet and sorbet in French, you could use sorbet lacté and sorbet sans lait. Oct 11, 2023 at 14:58

2 Answers 2


D'après l'office québécois de la langue française, cela s'appellerait un sorbet laitier au Québec et n'aurait pas d'équivalent en français européen.

Parlant le français de France et n'ayant jamais entendu ce terme moi-même auparavant, je pense qu'il est cependant tout à fait compréhensible comme un dessert à mi-chemin entre le sorbet et la crème glacée, et serait donc ma recommendation même en dehors du Québec.

  • 1
    +1 Par contre, pour ceux qui ne cliqueraient pas sur le lien, peut-être pourrais-tu insérer dans ta réponse ce qui explique pourquoi en Europe on n'utilise pas le terme de "sorbet laitier" (ou lacté comme suggéré dans des commentaires) : « Selon les législations française et européenne, un sorbet ne contient pas d'œufs, ni de matières grasses ou d'ingrédients lactés. »
    – None
    Oct 13, 2023 at 7:05
  • Ce point sur la réglementation n'a pas l'air d'être vrai selon economie.gouv.fr/dgccrf/Publications/Vie-pratique/… : "l’utilisation de protéines laitières est compatible avec la dénomination « sorbet ». En effet, l’emploi de protéines laitières est admis à très faible dose (moins de 1 %), à des fins technologiques, pour améliorer l'onctuosité du produit fini."
    – qoba
    Oct 13, 2023 at 14:17

Il n'y a pas de mot en français pour sherbet. Les produits glacés les plus courants sont la crème glacée, à base de crème fraîche, et le sorbet, à base d'eau. Les deux sont regroupés dans le terme plus général glace.

Les deux possibilités sont d'utiliser le mot sherbet ou de faire une périphrase explicative un sorbet avec un peu de lait.

Dans un texte un peu long, on peut commencer par introduire le terme et sa définition, puis continuer avec le terme seul.

  • 1
    Le terme crème glacée est quand même assez peu utilisé (en France en tout cas). Dans la langage courant, on oppose le sorbet et glace (ex sorbet à la fraise et glace à la vanille), même si effectivement glace est aussi utilisé de façon générique (sorbet + glace).
    – XouDo
    Oct 12, 2023 at 20:04
  • There's a similar problem in Italian. What's the Italian word for "gelato" (which in Italian means "ice cream")? Oct 13, 2023 at 16:10

This site is temporarily in read-only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .