A business is conducting some preventive maintenance on its company cars. A form is used and lists checks performed. The form then has a section "disposition of the car" which lists choices such as "send the car for repair" and "put the car back in service" etc.

How would you translate "disposition of the car"? This is about disposing (of) it, sort of like dealing with or some other meaning for which the translation is not readily available or clear.

I'd argue that even in english, the meaning of that title would not be obvious to everybody (but one would be helped by the options listed).
    – jcaron
    Oct 20, 2023 at 13:59
  • @jcaron Canadian English? Oct 20, 2023 at 21:22

3 Answers 3

Comme mentionné dans une autre réponse, dans ce genre de contexte j'ai vu « mesures à prendre ». J'ajouterais, similairement à une autre suggestion de cette réponse, destination (du véhicule), « Emploi auquel une chose doit être affectée ; fonction qui lui est assignée » (Ac.9).

I gather you mean "dispose of" as "get rid of" or "transfer". If so, indeed there's no straightforward translation of "disposition", in that case an option is to use a verb or a paraphrase in French. The first one that comes to mind is se débarrasser de but it won't do here since they are no getting rid of the car. Since the section offers different choices, I would suggest something like:

• Que faire de la voiture ? (What to do with the car?)
  • Étape(s) suivante(s) (Next step(s))
  • Mesures à prendre (Action to be taken)
  • Affectation du véhicule/de la voiture

I much prefer the last two choices. You might want to add something like selon l'état de la voiture (Affectation selon l'état de la voiture), but it might be too long for a section title, and I expect this is implied from the context.

• Pourrait-on utiliser aussi suites? Suites à porter?
    – Frank
    Oct 20, 2023 at 14:50
  • @Frank Porter des suites? Bof... on apporte plutôt des suites (sauf s'il s'agit de suites judiciaires), mais donner est me semble-t-il plus fréquent. Mais je préfère de loin Mesures à prendre que suites à donner...
    – None
    Oct 20, 2023 at 15:33
  • On pourrait aussi essayer suites à envisager. Je ne sais pas si c'est très courant, mais ça se comprend très bien. En fait, ça se dit effectivement: books.google.com/ngrams/…
    – Frank
    Oct 20, 2023 at 18:04

Deux autres possibilités pourraient être:

• suites à envisager
  • suites à apporter

Les ngrams google semblent supporter ces deux possibilités:

enter image description here

ou "action envisagée".
    – Graffito
    Oct 21, 2023 at 8:39
  • I'd favor "Suite à donner" over "Mesures à prendre". Also, consider "Dispositions ultérieures" (plural) and the simple "Décision". Mar 1 at 19:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.