to which source/website do you go to if you want to know how a specific word is pronounced?

So far I only know of Forvo. Unfortunately, I do not see that the académie française provides any help on that (not even given a representation in the IPA).

I come up with this question because I am uncertain of how the word "haricot" (bean) is pronounced. The académie française says that the h is aspirated but I have never heard a french speaker do so (and yes, I have read Prononciation du mot "haricot")

1 Answer 1

"Aspirated" doesn't mean "pronounced" when talking about the French h, which is always silent. H aspiré means that there cannot be any contractions or liaisons in front of the h, in comparison to h muet, which allows both.

For example:

les haricots is pronounced [le a ʁi ko]

les habitudes is pronounced [le za bi tyd]

Habitudes begins with h muet and therefore allows the liaison with preceding les.

Likewise, le haricot vs l'habitude - only the latter contracts with the preceding article.

• Thanks! Do you also have a website where you go to to find pronounciation advice?
    – sorry
    Mar 30 at 14:24
    @sorry: If you haven't figured out how to read IPA pronunciations, none of the dictionaries are going to help you. But IPA isn't that hard; figure it out. Mar 30 at 14:35
    Lots of French natives pronounce [lezaʁiko], and not only children!
    – None
    Mar 30 at 15:10
    @PeterShor I do know how to read IPA but I don't know any website that provides it. Do you know any?
    – sorry
    Mar 30 at 16:55
    @Frank Attends quelques décennies, et ça deviendra beau, voire littéraire ;-) Apr 4 at 10:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.