I am working with a mechanical engineer from France who wants to measure (in English) the "Torsor of mechanical actions" would this refer to a Tensor or Vector of acceleration and rotation, or a specific mechanical property like momentum or moment? Any general recommendations for resources for translating French for engineers would be very helpful as well.

  • 2
    We have vecteur, tenseur, torseur. Torseur is more specialized. The context would be needed, "mechanical actions" is a bit vague.
    – Frank
    Commented May 13 at 15:34
  • We are generally want to measure the issues (eg stress, strain, shock at different acceleration and rotation) a wheel may encounter as it rotates. I cannot really be more specific than that
    – pscheidler
    Commented May 13 at 15:47
  • He's probably referencing this fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torseur_des_actions_m%C3%A9caniques Commented May 17 at 13:24

1 Answer 1


French torseur translates to a screw, as in Screw theory, not to a torsor. The torseur des actions mécaniques is new to me; I'll wager it is the wrench of the contact forces applied to the rigid body of interest, i. e. the total wrench minus the gravitational-inertial terms. Looks like your French colleague could spend some time training in English.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.