Did "or" meaning gold and "or" meaning "yet/but" come from completely different etymological sources to become the same word, or did they have overlapping roots?

I've always found this word a bit difficult to conceptualize as a conjunction partly because I come from English where or has a prominent and unrelated meaning and partly because it means gold, so it just feels odd. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it.

1 Answer 1

The word "or" meaning "gold" comes from the Latin word "aurum", while the word "or" meaning "yet/but" comes from the Latin word "hora" ("hour" in English) - the word "or" meant "now" in the past.

• Hmm, how did "hora" end up being used as "yet/but"? Commented May 29 at 22:00
  • @temporary_user_name I edited my answer adding "the word "or" meant "now" in the past" to explain how "or" eventually meant "yes/but" : "hour" -> "now" -> "yes/but".
    – Bruno
    Commented May 29 at 23:47
    @temporary_user_name Sorry, it is a typo. I meant: "or" eventually meant "yet/but" : "hour" -> "now" -> "yet/but".
    – Bruno
    Commented May 30 at 0:41
    @WoJ Je ne m'attendais pas à répondre, or je l'ai fait. (I hadn't expected to reply, yet I did.)
    – jlliagre
    Commented May 30 at 12:49
    For the semantic development, consider also that now in English is often used, as Wiktionary describes it (adverb, sense 2), “to introduce a point, a qualification of what has previously been said, a remonstration or a rebuke” (as in, “Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it?”. That’s sort of in between a purely temporal meaning and a contrastive meaning like ‘yet’ or ‘but’. Commented May 30 at 13:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.