I'm writing about value in the personal sense of the word, as in emotional value, moral value or aesthetic value.

I'm thinking that perhaps “valeur” refers mainly to monetary value and I was wondering if there was an alternative that was more appropriate.

1 Answer 1

Valeur” is by no means restrained to monetary value : asking the Wiktionary (in French), only its 4th sense is that of price, coming after the quality of something, nobility, and importance (interest).

The 7th sense (a rule of one's ideology) is also probably of interest for you (your question made me think of it at first).

Answering more directly your question, the English Wiktionary — aside from “value” — gives another sense to “valeur” : “valor”, i.e. bravery, courage. Again, not so monetary.

• Is there an alternative ?

Interestingly, the French Wiktionary for “value” first mentions mérite, before “valeur”.

• Aha, French Wiktionary, I didn't think to look whether it existed. I've just been using the not very useful resources that one gets googling 'french dictionary'.
    – Lucas
    Jan 18, 2013 at 3:43
  • Yes, 1,3 and 7 are particularly relevant. 3 is perfect.
    – Lucas
    Jan 18, 2013 at 3:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.