How can I translate “from cover to cover” in French? This means from the very beginning until the very end.

The typical context of using "from cover to cover" in English would be reading the book, though I want to use it (in French) in the context of watching a movie.

What phrase could I use?

On peut dire lire un livre de bout en bout, ou regarder un film de bout en bout. On peut aussi dire du début à la fin, c'est un peu plus prosaïque. Comme on commence normalement au début, on peut aussi dire regarder un film jusqu'au bout.

You can say: d'un bout à l'autre.

On top of Gilles' answer, and only appliable to movies, you could use

jusqu'à la dernière minute

jusqu'à la dernière seconde

jusqu'à la (toute) fin

• Et au théatre, ne dirions-nous pas "jusqu'au dernier coup"? – Alexis Wilke Sep 3 '13 at 5:20

Si c'est une corvée et qu'on se sent l'âme dramatique, on peut dire:

Boire le calice jusqu'à la lie.

Dans un contexte plus familier, surtout à l'oral, on peut aussi utiliser :

[J'ai lu l'intégrale de cet auteur] de A à Z.

-1 : Ça ne correspond ni à une traduction possible de from cover to cover, ni n'est applicable à un film. – Alexis Pigeon Aug 29 '13 at 10:12

I'm not sure if "from cover to cover" can be intended to mean "in one reading/screening" (that is, not only reading the whole thing, but also without taking breaks). But if it does, then

d'une traite

conveys this idea.

You can combine:

J'ai regardé ce film jusqu'au bout, d'une traite.

Good thought, but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't carry that meaning. It's about exhaustiveness. Though it can certainly be combined to clarify a sentence like "I read it from cover to cover in one day" -- that is, "Don't assume I didn't read every page simply because I read it one day!" :) – Luke Sawczak Feb 20 '17 at 0:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.