In English, people's names are sometimes stated with an academic designation (basically, a degree) in their name: “John Smith, Ph.D.”. When adding an academic designation after a name, should the abbreviation be translated into French if the document in which it appears is in French? Specifically, should the E in “B.Ed.” (Bachelor of Education, earned in English) have the acute accent (accent aigu) added to it?

  • Bachelor of Education, like B.Sc. means Bachelor of Science.
    – Zonata
    Sep 17, 2013 at 20:37

3 Answers 3


Yes, but only if the title has an official translation. For example, in that case the title exists in French (in Quebec at least): “Bachelier ès Éducation”. The acronym becomes “B.Éd.”.

In the case the title does not have a translation (which I cannot find examples of), I would not change it.


1- "ès" est un raccourci pour "en les" ; comme pourrait-il être suivi d'un singulier ?

2- La question est singulièrement complexe pour les titres non universitaires, qui eux ont à peu près des équivalents (certains trompeurs : B.S. est Bachelor in Surgery, et LL.D. Legum Doctor). Mais comment traduire (sans expliquer par une périphrase) : "The Right Honorable John Smith, D.S.O., C.V.O., M.O.H." ?


In French, we just usually don’t put qualifications behind names. The only exception I can think of is on business card, but then again abbreviation are rare : if you need to do it, just write the whole thing down.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.