I was solving a test on y vs. en, and there was a question:

Penses-tu à ton chien ?

1. En penses-tu ?
  2. Y penses-tu ?
  3. Penses-en tu ?
  4. Penses-y tu ?

and I choose "Penses-y tu?" (I had no solid reason for that, but I remembered I saw verb-y formations before, so that “felt” right to me) but the right answer was "Y penses-tu?"

Can you explain to me why is "Y penses-tu?" a better choice?

1 Answer 1

Pronouns always come before the verb in French:

Tu y penses.
Tu me le donnes.

Except for two cases:

• In a question with inversion, the subject pronoun goes after the verb and is attached to it with a hyphen:

Y penses-tu ?
    Me le donnes-tu ?

• In the imperative form, the verb comes first and the pronouns follow (also attached to it with one or more hyphens). Note that in the imperative there is no subject.

Penses-y !
    Donne-le-moi !

• @Alexis: Bien vu, il y a bien un s artificiel qui s'ajoute à l'impératif spécialement pour le pronom y, et qui sert juste à transcrire la liaison. (Et quand on y pense… quelle horreur !) Dec 16, 2013 at 9:58
    Y a-t-il des sources pour "donne-moi-le !" ? J'ai toujours entendu dire aux enfants : on dit "donne-le moi !"
    – Personne
    Dec 16, 2013 at 10:11
    Tout à fait en bon français on dirait « donne-le-moi », mais si on faisait des statistiques à l'oral… Dec 16, 2013 at 10:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.