I'm reading Michel Houellebecq's Rudi ( small Elle edition from 2000 ) and I stumbled upon this sentence:

...pendant que Pam et Barbara continuaient à s'enlacer et s'entresucer dans le grand lit.

I understand the meaning and that entresucer is derivative of sucer, but there is no verb like this in vocabulary. Is this some kind of slang?

  • 2
    You won't find an entry entresucer in a dictionary but prefix entre can be used to form lots of verbs (or nouns) that show reciprocity. See wiktionary for examples of such words. Most of the time we'd hyphenate the word. Entresucer is no more/as much slang as sucer.
    – None
    Commented Jul 24, 2016 at 11:53
  • Oh, I see. Thank you @Laure.
    – VlS
    Commented Jul 24, 2016 at 12:00
  • 2
    @Laure This is an answer in comments... why so ? Commented Jul 24, 2016 at 19:54

1 Answer 1


It is a very rare word already present in La Bouquinade, a poem attributed to Pierre Ronsard.

There are many similar verbs built using the same pattern, like for example s'entre-dévorer and s'entretuer (i.e. to verb each other).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.