How can I translate for a French CV the following:

invited lecturer at the Winter School...


invited lecture at the Winter School...

I have seen many variations (linguee even gives examples with Winter School as it is) but I cannot pick up the proper ones. Even my French colleagues do not share the same opinions. I am wondering also why the word “lecturer” exists in Canadian French and not in the French of the hexagon.

1 Answer 1


Lecteur exists but is restricted to language teaching.

The term "lecturer" has different meanings depending on the country. If this position includes both research and teaching, the translation would be maître de conférences invité. It can be found in official documents. If research is not part of the job, that might be attaché, adjoint or assistant d'enseignement invité, intervenant extérieur1 or just conférencier.

Regarding winter school, the expression seems to be sometimes used untranslated but we also use école or université d'hiver, just like summer school commonly translates to école or université d'été.

1Thanks to Flying_whale for suggesting it!

  • Maître de conférences invité ? C'est bizarre quand même car Maître de conférences c'est l'équivalent de associate/assistant professor. Il me paraît plus logique que français canadien emploie lecturer tel il est (au moins livio dit comme ça).
    – Dimitris
    Commented Nov 5, 2018 at 7:11
  • 2
    @dimitris on pourrait aussi utiliser intervenant extérieur, pour remplacer invited lecturer si j'ai bien saisi le contexte Commented Nov 5, 2018 at 9:41
  • 2
    Cela varie peut être selon les domaines mais j'entends bien plus souvent école d'été/d'hiver que université d'été/d'hiver.
    – Delta-u
    Commented Nov 5, 2018 at 21:12
  • 1
    @Delta-u Très juste, je l'ajoute. merci !
    – jlliagre
    Commented Nov 5, 2018 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.